About Outdoor Explorer
Outdoor Explorer is based on the Forest School ethos to embraces the outdoors as a stimulating learning environment focussed on your child’s learning needs and interests rather than particular learning outcomes. Your children will explore and experience the natural world, on a regular and continued basis during our Outdoor Explorer sessions. These sessions aim to offer a unique way of building self-esteem and confidence in addition to learning new life skills and promoting independence, through hands on learning experiences.
Outdoor Explorer will usually take place in the school grounds.
The log circle will be used to refresh the ‘Outdoor Explorer’ rules, sing songs, read stories and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.
We have qualified staff who are highly experienced in delivering outdoor learning experiences. All staff are first aid trained and activities are planned in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
All activities are fully risk assessed.
Inclement Weather Procedure
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing
Sir Ranulph Fiennes
The weather and the seasons provide a rich variety of play experiences so Outdoor Explorer sessions will take place in most weather conditions.
- We always check the weather prior to a session visit.
- Outdoor Explorer shall not take place in extreme weather conditions where it is deemed too cold, wet, windy or hot for the children to feel comfortable and safely enjoy themselves.
- Outdoor Explorer will not take place in the woods in high winds due to potential hazards in the woodland (airborne material such as twigs or branches).
- If weather conditions should deteriorate whilst in the woodland return to school immediately by the quickest route.
- All children are dressed appropriately for the conditions.