The national curriculum for music aims to ensure that all pupils:
- perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions, including the works of the great composers and musicians
- learn to sing and to use their voices, to create and compose music on their own and with others, have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, use technology appropriately and have the opportunity to progress to the next level of musical excellence
- understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated, including through the interrelated dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations
At Bampton CE Primary School we set out a scheme of work for each year group to provide progression and a breadth of experience to meet the curriculum requirements
Each year group uses Music Express to support their termly planning as well as making use of opportunities to link music with topic themes.
Year 4 – Whole class brass lessons delivered by Oxfordshire County Music Service
Children experience performing in a variety of ways:
- EYFS children learn new songs and sing as part of an annual Nativity play
- Key Stage One children perform an annual nativity play and Year 2 children take part in the Burford Partnership KS1 Music Festival each year.
- Lower Key Stage Two children perform an end of year play
- Upper key Stage Two children perform an end of year play
- Year 5 pupils also take part in the annual Burford Partnership KS2 Music Festival
- Children are given opportunities to perform musical pieces in celebration assemblies throughout the year